chapter idea file ~ quick & easy sisterhood christmas craft ideas!
chapter idea file ~ no-cook pretzel treats!
chapter idea file ~ no-cook donut treats!
my FAVE holiday treat & easy to make ~ marshmallows! ♥
chapter idea file ~ christmas cookies & milk sisterhood social!
✰ cute & crafty christmas ~ DIY glass ornament inspiration! ✰
chapter idea file: sisterhood christmas ornament crafting party!
don’t let your christmas sisterhood social die of boredom! make your holidays happier with these fun and festive gift exchange ideas ~
❉❊ 12 merry & bright gift exchange ideas: ❉❊
- gift card exchange: set a max limit of $30 for each sister. everyone buys 3 $10 gift cards from three different places. play greek bingo or other game to exchange and steal the cards from each other.
- A to Z name game: before the party, everyone is assigned a letter. each girl must bring a gift beginning with that letter. variation ~ everyone brings a gift that begins with the first letter of their first name.
- $3 crafty: every sister must make a gift for only $3. this idea can be themed further to “ornaments” or “holiday decor”.
- free entertainment: instead of exchanging gifts, ask each sister to compose a poem, sing a song, do a dance, tell a joke, play an instrument, or any other entertainment! limit the time to 30 seconds or 1 minute if your chapter is large.
- undercover gifts: for an added twist, ask each girl to disguise her gift in a different unwrapped box. for example put bottle of perfume in a can of mixed nuts. host a fun gift exchange game based on the external container. in the end, everyone opens their disguised packages to reveal the “real” gift inside.
- guess the gift recipient: in advance of the social, each sister draws a name of one sister to give a gift too. instead of labeling the package, it must be wrapped in one big clue as to who it’s for. volleyball wrapping paper for the athlete, lilly pulitzer paper for the preppy sister, newspaper for the journalism major, etc… it’s fun guessing and matching the gifts at the party.
- christmas story exchange: pass out one key word from the story “T’was the Night Before Christmas” to each sister. one sister then reads the story aloud and when someone’s word is said, they stand up and shout, "merry christmas" or "ho,ho,ho" and choose a gift from the stack of presents everyone brought to the social.
- name that tune: this exchange is played like the game "name that tune." play a few measures of a christmas song. the first sister to correctly guess the carol gets to choose the first gift. continue play until everyone has a gift. presents can be unwrapped, or remain wrapped, as everyone has the opportunity to steal gifts from each other.
- question & command: everyone gets a gift to start. put slips of paper into a bowl with a question and a command written on each one. one at a time, each girl pulls a slip out of the bowl, answers the question and then reads the command until everyone has opened their gifts. some examples: Q: what is your favorite color? C: tell everyone wearing that color to open their gift. Q: where would you like to travel to on your next vacation? C: tell everyone to pass their gift 2 spaces left. Q: do you like fruit cake? C: swap gifts with any sister. questions can be a combination of personal and holiday themed.
- numbers exchange: number each gift as it arrives. then, give the girl who brought the gift a piece of paper with the same number on it. ask each sister to write down a little known fact about herself on the paper. she then folds the paper and puts it in a bowl. to start the game, draw a piece of paper and read the fact, NOT the number. the first sister to guess who the fact is about, gets the package with the same number.
- holiday trivia: have every member bring a wrapped gift. attach the answers to holiday trivia questions on the gifts and stack them in the center of the room. gather everyone in a circle and read the christmas questions. the girl giving the right answer gets to pick the gift with the matching answer on it from the stack.
- sing for your gift: write the first line of popular christmas carols on slips of paper and place them in a bag. attach the remaining part of the song on each gift as the girls arrive. each sister pulls out a line of the carol and must match it up to the gift with the rest of the song. she must SING the song before opening the gift!
tis the season for chapter frolicking and celebrating the christmas season! THEME your parties, sisterhood socials and mixers for extra sweet north pole fun!
- ugly sweater party ~ tacky and terrific! holiday polyester makes for the best photos. award prizes for most hideous, best vest, tackiest turtleneck, cutest critters, etc.
- christmas is july ~ plan a beach-themed romp in the dead of winter. decorate with beach balls, umbrella drinks, beach towels, etc. include a swimwear or hawaiian dress code if you want to go all out.
- theme tree trimming party ~ gather everyone together to trim a large ‘theme’ tree. DIY ornaments in the specific theme should be crafted, or purchased ahead of time, and brought to the party by each guest. possible tree themes: western, santa, food & drink, home states, foreign countries, candy, animals, lilly pulitzer, sorority symbols/mascot, all-greek tree. provide lights and garland to accent the ornaments.
- christmas movie marathon ~ screen several of your chapter’s favorite holiday classics. serve hot chocolate, popcorn, peppermint candy and christmas cookies. pajamas and pillows required.
- christmas carol karaoke night ~ set up a fun night of karaoke singing holiday songs. this idea is especially great for a co-ed exchange.
- white elephant party ~ everyone brings the worst gift imaginable and an organized exchange game is played to distribute the bad gifts. add another element to this party like a marshmallow roast.
- christmas costume party ~ halloween isn’t the only time to dress up! many online costume shops and party stores have an array of santa themed attire. ask your guests to come as santa, mrs claus, elves, christmas candy, reindeer, gift boxes, snowflakes and more. the more imaginative the better. host a costume contest with several winners, such as “most creative”, “most christmas cheer”, ” too sweet to eat”, etc.
- santa’s elves craft party ~ organize a sisterhood social where everyone makes giftie crafts for family and friends. supply the basic craft supplies and trim. or, host a holiday canvas painting party either at an art studio or at the sorority house. a ceramic painting party is another great idea for a chapter holiday creativity.
- winter wonderland ~ this theme can range from ice skating at the local rink to renting snow machines and creating your own snowy december scene. making your own snow is an excellent idea for warmer climates where snow is a novelty. serve snow cones and ice cream sundaes.
- holiday mash up ~ unite a favorite movie/book/place with christmas and you can create an extra unique party theme! for example, hogwarts christmas, willie wonka, dickens, hunger games, christmas in paris, candyland, office party, zombie holiday, disco, 50s christmas with the oldie music & oldie movies, medieval, nightmare before christmas, disney, grinch, under the sea, holiday carnival or circus.
- bad santa murder mystery ~ host a christmas themed murder mystery evening. include mischievous elves, a devilish santa, a nasty mrs claus and evil reindeer. use a “how to host a murder” game as your template, but create your characters with christmas stories in mind. you will need a brief storyline, a character “whodunit” and motivation for the murder.
- 6 again party ~ take everyone back to their childhood days with a kid themed party. journey back to when you believed in santa. guests can decorate christmas cookies and play kid games like gift wrap relay, snowball races, and find the star hidden in the room. decorate small christmas stockings and have someone read the night before christmas. the highlight of the party is a visit from a “real” santa who listens to everyone’s christmas wishes!
✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰
Hello! I am sisterhood chair of gamma phi beta at oakland university, I have sort of a large budget to use up for the remainder of the semester, and I was wondering the best way to use it? I was thinking of getting a gift for everyone or possibly doing a Holiday themed sisterhood? Any ideas would be appreciated! Also, LOVE the blog! Xoxo
love the generous budget! i would evaluate what you think your sisters would appreciate the most. some chapters would prefer a keepsake and other chapters would rather have the experience of a fun party. what is your sisterhood style? target your gift/event towards your sisterhood.
if you go with a gift idea, make it something special that the girls don’t traditionally give to each other. (no picture frames or plaques for example). think outside the box for something unique that your sisters would love. i would try to do both ~ a ‘favor’ and a social!
what about ordering a special sorority ornament for each sister? then combine that gift with a themed holiday party like an ornament exchange, white elephant gift exchange, or cookie exchange. or you could attend a special christmas concert, light spectacular, or holiday festival. tie your gift idea in with your social theme and you should have a hit. consider custom sorority christmas cookies in a gift bag, flavored popcorn, mini-stockings filled with little treats, sorority/holiday cupcakes, candy cane ornaments, DIY coco mix/marshmallow gift bags, etc… it all depends on your budget and how “big” you want to go! xoxo ;)