2585 posts tagged big little
Q: I recently became the New Membership chair in my sorority. In the past, we’ve had trouble with members taking littles and not making enough effort to get to know them, being pressured by family members to take a little before they were ready, not having enough littles for potential bigs, etc. Some people have even told their littles that they weren’t their first choice. I know some chapters have sisters apply to be bigs. How would this work? What questions should I ask potential big sisters?
A: It’s an excellent idea to make sure that bigs are ready and able to take a little before they commit. You see what happens when the process is taken lightly or misused. Sister’s feelings are at stake. What you need to determine is if a potential big is mentally ready to enter into an important big/little relationship. Just like “going steady”, a person must be prepared to take on the responsibilities of a committed partnership.
You and a small committee could screen the big sister candidates, or have them fill out a questionnaire. I think a brief face to face interview would be best. You can then get a feeling for how sincere they are about becoming a big. Are they genuine? Will they treat the process with respect?
These are some potential questions you could use to screen the big candidates. Select the questions that you think are most appropriate. At the very least, it will get the girls thinking about the relationships they are entering into!
Potential BIG interview questions:
- Why do you want to be a big sister?
- Describe your ideal big/little relationship.
- What makes you a stand-out potential big sister?
- How would you mentor your little?
- Do you have the TIME available to attend big/little events, participate in clue week, reveal and spend one-on-one time with your little?
- What characteristics do you look for in a little?
- Do you feel comfortable with the financial obligations of being a big?
- Are you interested in the ‘extras’ of being a big, like crafting, decorating and gift giving?
- Will you promise to keep the big/little selection process confidential?
- Describe your family line. How is your relationship with your own big and gbig?
- How enthusiastic is your family line about reveal, family costumes, crafts and the whole big/little experience?
- Do you see yourself as a role model for your little?
- Have you gotten to know several new members well enough to select a compatible little?
- What can you offer a little beyond crafts and gifts?
- Do you think our sorority big/little program is important? Why?
- How would you counsel a little if she was having doubts about her membership?
- Describe your true feelings for our entire sorority.
- If your little was having personal problems, how would you handle it?
- What would your ‘dream’ day/night be with your little? What would you do together?
- Do you think opposites attract, or is having things in common more important?
- Do you have the longterm energy and patience to guide a little through several years of college?
- Can you honestly say you are ready to take on the important responsibility of being a big sister?